Engineers with the right qualifications and skills can be hard to find. And once you find ones with a strong work ethic, leadership skills and a solid match with your corporate culture, you won’t want to let them go. Having the right talent in your workforce makes a huge difference in the quality of products and services your business produces—and how far you stay ahead of your competitors. To keep top talent on your payroll, take steps for retention. Here’s what you need to know.
Five effective employee retention techniques
- Keep them in the loop. The best and the brightest will be curious about the state of the company they work for. They’ll want to know what’s around the corner, what changes to expect and how to be prepared. They might also have ideas that can help the company succeed and grow. So let them in on the big picture and listen to what they have to say.
- Value their input. Give your employees an opportunity to voice their thoughts and ideas about policies and procedures—they may have recommendations for changes that can allow for enhancements. And if an employee offers a suggestion that’s good—put the idea into practice, giving credit where credit is due.
- Give them regular feedback. Your top workers want to know when they’re doing a good job. They’ll also need to know when they should make changes to improve their performance. Either way, your regular performance review and feedback will give them a benchmark for how to do well at their job, which is important for any superstar.
- Offer incentives and perks. The best in the industry want to work for a company that offers something beyond just a good job. This could include rich benefits, a fun and engaging atmosphere, dress-down Fridays, occasional coffee and donuts, cash rewards for hard work, etc.
- Promote from within. Your top performers will leave if you don’t give them a reason to stay. Hard workers who want to grow in their careers will become frustrated when promotions feel as if they’re out of reach. For this reason, it’s a good idea to open up promotions to those already familiar with your company, such as current employees.
Once you find them, take steps to keep them
Your employees will let you know what they need if you listen carefully. Pay close attention to your staff and catch up with regular 1:1 meetings. Ask how things are going and take their replies seriously.
Can your staffing efforts be improved?
Partner with a recruiting expert. As California’s leading engineering recruiting firm, SoloPoint Solutions has the industry knowledge and connections to help you find (and keep) the best talent in the market. To learn more about our engineering recruiting services in Fullerton, CA and beyond, contact us today!