If you’re on the fence about working with a recruiter to find a job in the engineering industry, it’s a great idea to understand a few of the current myths out there. Many candidates have pre-conceived notions about working with recruiters and fall prey to myths that keep them from finding the jobs they want and the pay rate they deserve.
Let’s take a look at five of the most popular myths – and the actual truth.
- Recruiters can only place you in a temp job – While recruiters certainly can place you in a temporary position if that’s what you’re looking for, in reality, they want to find you long-term employment. The origins of this myth are best explained by a misunderstanding of what recruiters do. Too often, they are lumped in with staffing agencies who do source temp work.
- Recruiters don’t look out for the candidate – You might think that because recruiters are typically paid by the employers that they are not concerned with your future and your prospects. While their wages may be paid by your future employers, that doesn’t mean that they don’t want the best for you. In their industry, turn-around is a bad thing. Recruiters build a good reputation by finding candidates who fit the job – long term.
- Recruiters don’t specialize in an industry – While there are quite a few recruiters who are generalists, there are many others who do actually specialize in particular industries. As a job seeker, it’s best to look for the specialized recruiters who know your industry in and out. They are the ones who are going to have long standing relationships with employers in your field – not just general companies.
- Recruiters don’t care about your wages – On the bottom line, if you get paid more, typically, your recruiter is going to get paid more as well. Most recruiters are paid as a percentage of the total yearly salary of the employees they source for companies. It only makes sense that they are going to work harder for you to get the pay scale you deserve since it will benefit them directly. That’s not a bad thing when you’re looking for a job and a great wage!
- Recruiters aren’t concerned with long-term relationships – Recruiters are all about building long-term relationships. You’re certainly not a one-and-done candidate to them. They realize that people want to move up and find better employment as they gain more skills. Repeat business is key to building a successful recruiting agency. They want to do the best they can for you so that if your future circumstances change and you want a new job, they’ll be the first people you turn to.
Working with a recruiter has numerous benefits, particularly in the engineering industry. This is a competitive marketplace and finding the perfect job isn’t always easy. By working with someone who has your best interests in mind, you’ll come out on top of the entire arrangement.
Want more information about working with engineering recruiters? The pros at SoloPoint Solutions are here to help!